Just like that, another semester is coming to a close. If you’re a student, this probably means you’ve got some textbooks sitting around that you won’t be needing anymore. Instead of letting your books collect dust in the corner, consider selling your used college books to make some extra cash!
Times to Sell Textbooks
You can sell your textbooks at any point in the year, but typically the peak times of year to sell books occur towards the end of the school year. For college students, the end of the fall semester (December) and the end of the spring semester (May) are great times to sell back your textbooks.
Most importantly, you should sell your books when it is convenient for you – i.e., during summer break or after your classes end for the semester. Wait to sell your books until you’re certain you won’t need them anymore.
Finding a Buyer
When it comes to selling textbooks, there are quite a few options to explore.
Sell Books Online
Selling used college books online is a great way to make some extra money. There are several websites that make it easy to buy and sell used books.
To get the most cash out of your used college textbooks, sell online to eCampus.com. When it comes to textbook buybacks, eCampus.com offers the most competitive pricing. There are 4 easy steps to selling used textbooks to eCampus.com:
- Get a quote for your books by entering the ISBN(s) in the search bar above. You can enter multiple ISBNs using a comma to separate them.
- Choose your method of payment (PayPal, Direct Deposit, Check, In-Store Credit).
- Ship your books to us for free.
- Enjoy getting paid!
At the end of each semester, there’s a good chance that your college bookstore will also be running some kind of textbook buyback program. Selling your textbooks back to your bookstore can be tempting because of its convenience. However, it’s important to note that college bookstores are notorious for low-ball offers on textbook buybacks and you most likely will not be getting the best selling price for your books.
Sell to Other College Students
Another potential option for selling your textbooks is selling to another student. It’s actually pretty common for students to sell to other college students. If you’re looking to offload some used textbooks, reach out to other students you know who may be needing your books for an upcoming semester.
Textbook Buyback Tips
By now, you’ve probably figured out that buyback season is a great way to make a quick buck from old books by selling them back at their true value. It’s a good idea to research potential buyers and sites online before making the final decision on where to sell.
Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your books at buyback time:
- Sell books that are in high demand.
- Choose the selling option that will get you the highest price.
- Be sure to check all your books for cash value. You might be surprised how much they’re worth!
- Avoid excessive marking & highlighting in your textbooks to avoid potential rejections or price markdowns due to damages.
- Sell as early as possible (like right after your class ends or you are finished with the book). This reduces the chances of new editions being released.
- Make sure the spine, cover, and all pages are intact.
- Package carefully when shipping.
In addition to textbooks, sites like eCampus.com will give you cash for novels, biographies, non-fiction books, and almost anything else on your bookshelf.
Pro Tip: In the long run, you can save money by selling books. Set some of the money aside that you made from selling your books to buy books next semester.
Be sure to connect with us @ecampusdotcom on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook for more resources, tips, and some great giveaways! And when it’s time for textbooks, eCampus.com has you covered for all your course material needs at savings up to 90%!