If you’ve found yourself on Tiktok in the last year, you’ve probably found yourself down booktok at some point in time. Even if you didn’t know it, booktok has taken the virtual world by storm. Whether it’s from cosplay to just the book recommendations, people just can’t get enough of booktok. And we get it because neither can we. But with all of the books we have piling up on our nightstands and filling our online shopping carts because of good ole’ booktok, where does one start? What fandom should you fall victim to next? Don’t worry. We did some… light reading so we could tell you all about the books you’ve seen on your FYP. So my dear readers, let’s get started, shall we?
Our Top Five Fantasy Novels Tiktok Made Us Read
Disclaimer: The following books will make you escape the pandemic and leave for other worlds. 🗺 You will go on amazing adventures through fictional kingdoms, and when one book ends, you will find yourself racing to find the next in the series. We are not responsible for the lack of money in your bank account once you buy the entire series.
1. Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco (Kingdom of the Wicked Series – Book #1) – We’ve got two sisters, a quest for vengeance that will ultimately unleash Hell itself. BUT throw in some romance? You can really see historical events this book is based on peeking through the storyline while also having its own unique magical system with different classes of witches and demons. Kingdom of the Wicked truly shows a different, more interesting side to Maniscalco’s writing.
Seriously, this book can be read in one sitting. It’s just that good. For the night we spent reading this booktok recommendation, we weren’t in 2021 in the midst of a global pandemic. We were with Emilia in Sicily. It was a great book one because the cliffhanger at the end will leave you running to eCampus.com to buy book two. The real question is, why haven’t you started reading this book already?
2. A Touch of Darkness by Scarlett St. Clair (Hades & Persephone Series – Book #1) – Let’s talk about the Gods in the Modern Era. We’re talking Persephone and Hades set in the modern-day. It is a truly modern take on the age-old tale of the King and Queen of the Underworld. One a journalist, one the head of a gambling empire. Soon they find themselves in a deal that has conditions that seem to be impossible. Follow along as the Gods of before try to fight for their freedom and forbidden love.
Most of us know the story behind Hades and Persephone, and if you don’t, YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT! Although the writing of this book isn’t anything too special, the story is absolutely captivating to all the readers who have picked this book up. This has been a guilty pleasure book for most reviewers and it’s easy to see why. Seriously, the modern take on their story takes the myth of Persephone and Hades to a new level. For anyone who loves the myth of Persephone and Hades and romance novels, this is the story for you.
3. House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas (Crescent City Series – Book #1) – Bryce Quinlan had a perfect life — until a demon murdered her closest friends. After being accused and behind bars, the crimes start up again. Bryce finds herself in the middle of the investigation and willing to do whatever it takes to avenge her friends’ deaths.
This Sarah J. Maas gem is not one you want to scroll by the next time you’re book shopping. She builds a new modern magical world set in the modern-day, and her attention to detail keeps you hooked for the 800+ pages. We saw all the hype on booktok, and we should have known better from the heartbreak we felt from our last list of Booktok Reads. But seriously, booktok has yet to lead us astray. Good thing there is an entire Crescent City Series because you won’t have to be left without knowing what happens next. You’ll be rushing to eCampus.com for the rest of the Cresent City Series once you’ve read House of Earth and Blood.
4. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (The Folk of the Air – Book #1) – We’ve got the usual girl meets boy story. We’ve got our typical mortal girl. As a child, her parents were horribly murdered, and her sisters were stolen away to live at the Faerie high court. You know, pretty normal mortal stuff. But 10 years later, she wants nothing more than to fit in with the Fey despite being mortal. But predictably, the Fey hate mortals, so to make it to the high court, she must defy the prince and face the consequences.
Fairies have taken over pop culture already this year, and we’re here for it. This YA fantasy builds a new world for you to escape to with all the fairies of your dreams. It’s storyline is so compelling, even before the real drama kicks off, you’ll be hooked on this book. This booktok recommendation is no exception. We mean who doesn’t love the enemies turned lovers book troupe?
5. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (A Court of Thorns and Roses – Book #1) – Feyre lives in the forest, and to survive the winter, she must be able to hunt and kill. After fighting what she thinks is a wolf for a deer, she gets dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie.
We’ve got another Sarah J. Maas gem, this time with enemies turned lovers, an ancient curse, AND faeries. This series is just too easy to jump on board with. It has stunning action, gorgeous imagery, and interesting characters readers easily fall in love with. This book is written like a YA fantasy but it has been aimed at an adult audience, and most readers have fallen in love with the way its story was written. You may have seen the hype all over booktok. You’ve probably seen the tag on regular Tiktok. #ACOTAR has taken Tiktok by STORM, from reading order to slide nights. It only makes sense that this book is good enough to back it up. Seriously get out. That is, grab this series and start reading before you see all the spoilers on booktok.
6. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows – Book #1) – Kaz is a criminal prodigy, and in the bustling hub of international trade, he’s offered the chance at a deadly heist. A heist that can make him richer beyond his wildest dreams, but he can’t pull it off alone. His ragtag group including a sharpshooter, a thief, a spy, a runaway, a convict, and a heartrender, are the only things standing between the world… and destruction.
You may have seen a lot of this book recently because Netflix picked up the book to adapt it into a show, Shadow and Bone, that’s coming out April 23, 2021. So if you’re like us, you need to RUSH to eCampus.com to grab a copy of this book before it flies off the shelf. This is a book you need to read before it becomes a show. It not only transports you to a different world, but it’s a story you never want to stop reading. Thank goodness it’s part of a series. That sadness you feel after finishing a good book doesn’t have to hang around for very long before you can start reading book two.
So go forth, venture into new worlds. Leave the pandemic behind for worlds of fantasy in the pages of these booktok fantasy recommendations. Leave the worries of the pandemic behind you for a few chapters, and let us know what you think of this booktok reads list.
Be sure to connect with us @ecampusdotcom on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook for more resources, tips, and some great giveaways! And when it’s time for textbooks, eCampus.com has you covered has you covered for all your course material needs at savings up to 90%!