Want to get more out of your next semester? Here are a few resolutions that will help you visualize your goals:
1. Eat Healthy– Keep dried fruit and granola around your dorm for a healthy snack option, instead of grabbing the twizzlers, chocolate and ice cream at the diner/library.
2. Sleep Better– Reduce your caffeine intake, especially in the afternoon and evening. Instead of grabbing a coffee to keep you up to finish that paper due at 8 AM tomorrow, take a walk around the dorm, library or campus.
3. Stay Active– Download an app that tracks your steps or how many minutes you are active to see how much you move. Set reasonable goals and achieve!
4. Get Better Grades– Stick with your assignment notebook and keep track of your notes. Set TV limits for the semester to keep procrastination at a minimum.
5. Spend More Time With Campus Friends– Start or join a club that your friends are involved in. It will give you a weekly excuse to see them and spend time with them.
6. Be More Organized– Spend a while over winter break reorganizing your computer files so your documents folder won’t be so cluttered. Also, get in the habit of making your bed, so that your dorm room looks tidier too!
7. Keep In Touch With Distant Friends– Plan to call your friend on a regular basis. Even if its just a five minute phone call, it will mean much more than a text or facebook message- but don’t shy away from those either! It’s always nice to see an old friend pop up.
I find myself at the start of every semester saying how I’m going to have the best semester yet. But it never fails- just a few weeks in and I’m back to my procrastination ways. Next semester, I begin my final year of school and I’m determined to have the perfect year. Here are some of my tips to start off your spring semester the right way:
1. Buy a planner. If you don’t keep a planner, I highly suggest investing in one. My planner is my life. If I didn’t have my planner I would have no idea what I should be doing. If having a planner isn’t your thing, develop a system to keep your school assignments on track. Go through your syllabi and write everything down for the semester.
2. Clean sweep. Prior to the beginning of each semester, I clean everything from my room to my bathroom to my computer’s desktop. I feel so much better when everything is clutter free. Performing a clean up will start your semester off on the right foot.
3. New school supplies. Throw away your old notebooks and invest in new notebooks for the new semester. Color-code your classes to keep everything aligned. Call me crazy, but I have matching folders, notebooks, post-its and highlighters for each class. It’s a simple way for me to stay organized.
4. Set goals. Want to achieve all A’s? That’s great! Rather than just saying, “I’m going to get straight A’s this semester, set check-mark goals that you can cross off throughout the semester. I love crossing things off. Break down your classes and set goals such as “Earn a B or above on Exam 1” or “Begin paper two weeks before due date.” I always break down my papers from when they’re assigned to the due date so I don’t leave it all for one night.
It is important to keep your motivation throughout the spring while still making time for fun, especially if this is your last semester in college! What are your new semester’s resolutions?