With a few months of college classes under your belt, everyone has most like had at least one exam down from each class. Freshmen have now figured out that college courses are not exactly as easy as high school classes. For those people who thought high school was a breeze and flew by with great grades and not much studying, college is a huge wake up call. That is how I felt coming into my freshman year and I became very overwhelmed. After the last few years, I have learned some great study tips that make college feel less difficult and more manageable.
Organize Your Work
- Try to keep your papers, notes, and exams all divided between your different classes and all in one place. This makes referring back to notes while studying much easier!
Meet People in Every Class
- Studying alone is not always the easiest or most exciting way to remember information for classes. It is nice to have a discussion group to talk through the information with, and it has been shown to help memorize much easier. Also, everyone has those days that they want to have a lazy day and skip a class and knowing people makes it easy to get the notes you missed.
Talk to Professors
- Every professor loves when students stop by their office hours. When they have 2 hour office hour study blocks to meet with people and no one shows up, it is pretty boring. Even if you have just one question don’t hesitate to go. This will also get your name in their mind so they want to help you out.
Listen to Light Music
- As long as it is not distracting, it never hurts to listen to some relaxing music while just copying note cards or other studying that doesn’t involve a lot of ready.
Eat, and Drink Some Coffee
- Make sure that when having a long studying night that you are keeping nourished. Brain food is very necessary and if you don’t eat enough you are more likely to become tired. If you need an extra boost, have a cup of coffee.
Take Study Breaks
- Studies have shown that if you take a break every 45 minutes, you retain information better and do not become bored and tired. Bring a magazine or take a walk around to stretch your legs.
- It never helps to get all worked up about a big paper or exam. By staying calm and positive, work will get done much quicker and the information you are trying to learn won’t be throw into your worried, stressed brain.
I’m reading Criminal Justice